Thursday, January 20, 2011

Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Honestly, I've never listened to an Iron & Wine album before. I actually thought Iron & Wine was a 80s rock group until one day a random Google search informed me of my grievous error. And there was no time like the present (what with the new album streaming) to check out his music. For those unaware, Iron & Wine is the moniker of Sam Beam whose been making music since the early '00s. His latest album, Kiss Each Other Clean is his first after about 3 years. A Google search will tell anyone that. But what they won't tell you is how amazing the new album is. I'm not exactly sure what I expected but I had my expectations shattered in a matter of seconds. Some might classify Iron & Wine as a folk artist but that'll leave you massive unprepared for what you're going to hear. The album plays with some funky grooves and electronics.

Kiss Each Other Clean is in many ways catchy like a pop album, but has the earnestness and lyricism of folk, with some jazz grooves and sound experimentation that really distinguishes it from your standard pop or folktronica record. Give the album a listen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment