Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Heligoats - Goodness Gracious (2010)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Once again NPR introduces me to an awesome new artist. This time it's The Heligoats. Washington based The Heligoats is actually composed of singer/songwriter Chris Otepka whose innovative and playful lyrics lend some sense to the delightful moniker, as well as Steve Mitchell, Mike Mergenthaler, and Dave James. Their latest album Goodness Gracious was released almost a year ago and while I'm not surprised it managed to evade my notice, one listen had me regretting that it had. The Tiny Desk concert featuring Otepka provided a lot of insight into the inspiration behind his songs (He has some of the most interesting stories I've ever heard)but even without that insight, you can't deny the infectiousness that is Otepka's charmingly inventive lyrics. "Fish Sticks" is by far my favorite for its high energy balls-to-the-wall energy.

I might not have known about Heligoats a year ago but with releases with Goodness Gracious, I certainly wish I had. The album is as vivacious as it is enchanting, brimming with joy, positive vibes, and charm. It's sure to be an favorite.

Get a taste of The Heligoats with the aforementioned Tiny Desk Concert on NPR featuring Otepka solo:

No comments:

Post a Comment