Monday, March 21, 2011

Tyler James - It Took The Fire (2010)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Never has the world seemed smaller than when I discovered that Ten Out of Tenn artist Tyler James (who I was introduced to via Andrew Belle) was also keyboardist for Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. Considering that the two artist collectives are radically different, I was intrigued as to what Tyler James' solo recordings might sound like. Combine that curiosity with Noisetrade offering it up for free and it didn't take long for Tyler James' debut It Took the Fire to end up in my music library. I don't know what I was expecting but still It Took The Fire managed to shatter them. From lead track "All I Got" it's obvious this isn't going to be your standard singer/songwriter fare.

Tyler James manages to channel his multi-instrumentalism into a fusion of brilliantly soulful piano-pop. Its one of those fusions that combines enough elements as to be ultimately undefinable for all the good reasons. Add in remarkable choices in instrumentation and arrangement, and Tyler James creates a truly enjoyable experience. Get a taste of Tyler James with the music video for "All I Got":

No comments:

Post a Comment