Monday, March 3, 2014

All Around Sound is Turning Four - Day 1 Bonus Mix: Devin Gallagher (Typhoon/Ghosties)

My friendship with Typhoon percussionist Devin Gallagher is one that would've been entirely impossible without the wonders of the internet. After Sam of MiddleClassWhiteNoise turned me on to Typhoon, I made it a point to interact with them on Twitter as I do for most bands I like with interesting things to say. Devin headed the Typhoon Twitter and we found ourselves in various discussions on music theory, minimalism, and exchanging music recommendations born from those discussions. Seeing Typhoon live because less of a singular mission of seeing a band I really dug but also of establishing an in person relationship with a person whose web presence I enjoyed. A very 21st century friendship to be sure.

Devin's contribution:
John Cage liked to listen to traffic outside his window which I think make me think about playing two records at the same time. I like the pops and skips and you can hear the dust catching on the needle. This mix includes music by Karlheinz Stockhausen, Jackie-O Motherfucker, Sonic Youth, and Philip Glass, although some of it has been altered.

No comments:

Post a Comment